Housing Assistance Programs
Down Payment Assistance
Grant Funded, Tribally Funded
The Down Payment Assistance Program offers Gun Lake Tribal Citizens the opportunity to receive a matching award, up to $10,000, towards down payment and closing costs when purchasing a primary residence. The Citizen Asset Management Department will match the Applicant’s contribution, dollar-for-dollar, up to a maximum of $6,999. If the Applicant contributes $7,000, the Department will award an additional $3,000 for a total benefit of $10,000. Some program qualifications include, but are not limited to the following:
- Enrolled Gun Lake Tribal Citizen at least 18 years of age
- Have a debt to income ratio of 41% or less
- Complete an approved Home Buyer Education Class
- Be prequalified by a lending institution
The Down Payment Assistance Program is a great opportunity for our Tribal Citizens to realize their goal/dream of Homeownership.
Benefit: Provides financial support, up to $10,000, towards the purchase or refinance of a home.
Structure: The Citizen Asset Management Department will match the Applicant’s contribution, dollar-for-dollar, up to a maximum of $6,999. If the Applicant contributes $7,000, the Department will award an additional $3,000 for a total benefit of $10,000.
- Must complete a Homebuyer Education Class conducted by the Citizen Asset Management Department.
- Benefit can only be applied to a primary residence.
- The mortgage loan amount combined with any Down Payment assistance cannot exceed 100% of the appraised value of the property.
- The property must be zoned for residential use, wood-frame and/or other approved construction type, and meet the Department’s inspection requirements.
- Have a debt-to-income ratio, including housing cost, less than 41% of the Applicant’s income.
- Shall not be eligible for any other assistance program for a five-year period, with the exception of the Sewer/Sanitation Program.
“I'm so thankful to have been able to use the Down Payment Assistance Program twice now! I initially used the program in 2005 to assist in the purchase of our family's first home. Carrie makes the process so easy. It’s very clear what you need to do and as long as you follow through, you should be all set. Let’s face it – nothing that you do will ever make the home buying process stress-free. Purchasing a home is a stressful process. However, working with the Tribe’s Housing Department was a breeze. Do your part as a Tribal Citizen by keeping in touch and meeting the requirements that are set and it really is an “easy” process. My family and I are so incredibly thankful for the Down Payment Assistance Program and the Tribe’s Housing Department. We are in our new home today because of this program”.
-Becky TenBrink, Housing Improvement Program