Direct Services & Program Offerings
Jijak Youth Camp
Jijak Youth Camp has been held annually since 2012. Jijak Youth Camp brings together tribal youth ages 5-17 to share hands-on life experiences that combine environmental, cultural and leadership skills. The Jijak Youth Camp serves our Tribal community by strengthening our young peoples’ bond to cultural traditions, engaging youth in nature and forging lifelong friendships based on the rich history and living traditions of the Gun Lake Tribe. The Gun Lake Tribe’s Jijak Youth Camp is organized by Shawn McKenney, Desirae Pyle and Nikki Yargeau. Read More...
Conservation Incentive Program
Click here to download CIP Summary flyer.
The purpose of the Conservation Incentive Program (CIP) is to reduce the environmental footprint of the Tribal Community through reductions to energy use and conservation of water. Through this program, the Environmental Department offers incentives, mostly in the form of rebates, for investing in energy-saving and water-saving appliances, vehicles and home energy efficiency measures. This program is open to all enrolled Gun Lake Tribal Citizens and primary parents of Tribal Citizens.
Residential Appliance Rebates
Incentive listed below
- Energy Star Clothing Dryer 50% of the pre-tax purchase price
- Energy Star Clothing Washer 75% of the pre-tax price
- Energy Star Water Heater 50% of the pre-tax purchase price
- Energy Star Tankless Water Heater 75% of the pre-tax purchase price
Incentive based on percent better than federal minimum for energy use and pre-tax purchase price
- Energy Star Freezers – chest, upright
- Energy Star Dishwashers
- Energy Star Dehumidifiers
- Energy Star Refrigerators
Items currently NOT Eligible for CIP
- Water Softeners
- A purchased vehicle with a fuel economy of 40 MPG highway or higher shall be eligible for a $2,000 rebate
- A purchased vehicle with a fuel economy of 45 MPG highway or higher shall be eligible for a $2,500 rebate
- A purchased full electric vehicle shall be eligible for a $3,000 rebate
- A leased vehicle with a fuel economy of 40 MPG highway or higher shall be eligible for a $1,000 rebate
- A leased vehicle with a fuel economy of 45 MPG highway or higher shall be eligible for a $1,250 rebate
- A leased full electric vehicle shall be eligible for a $1,500 rebate
Residential Renewable Energy Incentives
- Solar energy: 30% of total cost up to $2,500
- Geothermal energy: 30% of total cost up to $2,500
- Wind energy: 30% of total cost up to $2,500
Indoor Air Quality Incentives
- Radon mitigation for homes with measured 4 pCi/L radon gas: 50% of cost not to exceed $1,000
- Carbon monoxide detectors: 1 per 1,000 square feet of home
- HEPA furnace filters: 100% of cost for up to 3 filters per year, not to exceed $100
- Energy star qualified bathroom exhaust: $400 per bathroom per qualifying residence per 5 years
- Air quality home audit: limited to the GLT service area, must be performed by GLT staff
- Mold testing: 100% of cost, not to exceed $200; must be completed by GLT staff within the GLT service area
Energy Audits and Retrofits*
*Recent energy audit report must recommend energy retrofit for that retrofit to be eligible for a CIP incentive with the exception of LED lights and programmable thermostat.
- Walk through energy audit: $50
- Full diagnostic energy audit (blower door test and thermal scan): $450
- Post retrofit energy audit (blower door test and thermal scan): $250
- Attic or wall Insulation: $2.00 per square foot
- Crawl space/basement foam insulation: $2.00 per square foot
- Crawl space/basement vapor barrier: $1.40 per square foot, not to exceed $1,500
- Windows: $100 per Energy Star window
- Window sealing: $20.00 per window
- Furnace/air conditioning: $1,000.00 furnace, $250.00 central air conditioning o Furnace AFUE Ratings must be 96% or higher
- HVAC tape sealing: up to $200
- Water pipe and water heater insulation: up to $200
- Exterior door replacement: $100 per energy star qualified door
- Exterior door sealing: $20.00 per door;
- LED lights: Up to $500.00 per household. Based on pre-taxed purchase of lights on receipt.
- Energy star qualified ceiling fan $25
- Energy star qualified room air conditioner: 10% of pre-tax purchase price
- Programmable thermostat: $250 per unit including installation.
- Up to 3 water sense showerheads per qualifying residence: $30 per unit
- Up to 3 water sense toilets per qualifying residence: $300 per toilet
- Up to 2 rain barrels per qualifying residence
- Water purification systems: 50% of total cost not to exceed $1,000 for residences that have completed and reviewed drinking water testing
- Septic inspection and pumping: $350 once every 3 years
- Drinking water testing for bacteria, nitrates, nitrites, dissolved solids, pH, lead, copper, sulfates, hardness, arsenic, fluoride, iron, manganese, sodium and zinc
In no instance will a Conservation Incentive Program (CIP) incentive total more than 100% of the purchase price or cost of an item or service.
All incentives are subject to all conditions detailed in the CIP policies.
Hunter Safety/Hunter Enhancement Courses
Hunter Safety and Hunter Enhancement courses will be offered periodically throughout the year.
Tribal Hunting Permit – The Environmental Department issues Tribal Hunting Permits to Gun Lake Tribal Citizens to hunt on Tribal lands. Permits are valid April 1 through March 31 of the following year. Hunting and Trapping is regulated through the Wildlife Conservation Ordinance adopted by Tribal Council through Resolution 17-1039. The full ordinance can be found in the Member's Portal.
- Household Hazardous Waste Recycling - is open to the Tribal Community the third Thursday of every month at the Government Campus in Shelbyville. Appointments are necessary.
- Electronic Waste Recycling - events are offered twice per year. The Tribe covers all applicable recycling fees in part through the EPA Performance Partnership Grant.