Crime Victims have rights and services available to them. 

General Information:

If you are injured as a direct result of a crime, you may be eligible for reimbursement of expenses from the State Of Michigan.  You may submit an application for reimbursement to the Crime Victims Service Commission, 320 Walnut Street Lansing MI 48913, 517-373-7373.

Rights of the Domestic Violence Victim:

Your legal rights also include the right to go to court and file a petition requesting a personal protection order to protect you or other members of your household from domestic abuse which could include restraining or enjoining the abuser from doing the following:

  1. Entering onto premises.
  2. Assaulting, attacking, beating, molesting, or wounding you.
  3. Threating to kill or physically injure you or another person.
  4. Removing minor children from you, except as otherwise authorized by custody or parenting time order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.
  5. Engaging in stalking behavior.
  6. Purchasing or possession a firearm.
  7. Interfering with your efforts to remove your children or personal property from premises that are solely owned or leased by the abuser.
  8. Interfering with you at your place of employment or education or engaging in conduct that impairs your employment relationship or your employment or education environment.
  9. Engaging in any other specific act or conduct that imposes upon or interferes with your personal liberty or that causes a reasonable apprehension of violence
  10. Having access to information in records concerning any minor child you have with the abuser that would inform the abuser about your address or telephone number, the children’s address or telephone number, or you employment address.  Your legal rights also include the right to go to court and file a motion for an order to show cause and a hearing if the abuser is violating or has not been arrested. 

For further information about restraining or injunctive orders (Personal Protection Orders) you may contact the Allegan County Circuit Court at 269-673-0300 or Gun Lake Tribal Court at (269) 397-1630. PPO’s can be obtained at no cost.