The Gun Lake Public Safety Department is a full service police agency that serves the Gun Lake Tribal Community near Bradley, Michigan as well as the Gun Lake Casino, and other Tribally-owned lands. Officers are required to maintain MCOLES certification, a Special Law Enforcement Commission from the Bureau of Indian Affairs and be cross deputized with the Allegan County Sherriff’s Department.
- Applicants must be MCOLES licensed/licensable
- Able to pass comprehensive background investigation
- Able to pass physical/mental screenings
- Proven track record of successful employment
- Possess a valid Michigan driver’s license and be insurable
- Meet hiring requirements as set forth by Gun Lake Tribe and Gun Lake Public Safety
- Tribal law enforcement experience
- Prior law enforcement experience that provides appropriate knowledge, skills and abilities
- Possess or be able to obtain Special Law Enforcement Commission from Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills
- Possess knowledge and understanding of Gun Lake Tribal customs
Include, but are not limited to the following:
- Patrol assigned area to control traffic, provide crime prevention and investigate incidents of criminal violations
- Respond to calls for service
- Provide crowd control at public gatherings within departmental guidelines
- Render first aid at the scene of accidents, medical assistance calls, domestic violence calls and report findings
- Direct and control traffic around fires, accidents and other disruptions as needed
- Warn or arrest persons violating the law and issue tickets to violators
- Write and file daily activity reports
- Assist area police departments with law enforcement functions
- Act as a Tribal police liaison to the community to enhance public relations
- Appear and testify before the courts in cases being adjudicated
- Assume responsibility for proper maintenance of equipment and vehicles assigned for patrol
- Adhere to safety practices for all weapons and vehicles assigned to the officer
- Become familiar and comply with all the rules, regulations and codes to ensure efficient operations
- Maintain knowledge of drugs/narcotics, such as abuse, identification and availability on the streets as it relates to routine patrol duties and detention procedures
- Maintain confidentiality as required by law and departmental standards
- Ability and willingness to work non-traditional hours including evenings, weekends and holidays as required
- Ability and willingness to be on-call as needed
- Ability and willingness to travel as necessary, including out of state
- Possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and be insurable
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process. The pre-employment process also requires the ability to pass a criminal background investigation and drug/alcohol test.
The Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians recognizes Native American preference in its hiring and employment policies.
The Gun Lake Tribe offers a competitive base salary and benefits package that includes:
- Medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability and life insurance
- 401K/Roth retirement plan with employer matching contributions
- Defined Benefit Plan
- Voluntary Benefits: AFLAC and AFLAC Flexible Spending Account, ING/Reliastar Supplemental Life Insurance and Call-A-Doc-Plus Program
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Business casual office environment
Please submit a cover letter, resume and application, to be considered for this position. Applicant information may be submitted via mail, fax, in person, by e-mail or through this online portal. Letters may be sent through U.S. Postal Service, must be postmarked no later than the closing date of the posting period.
Please submit your applicant information for the position to one of the following:
Applicant information can be filled out through this online portal.
It can also be brought in person or mailed to:
Gun Lake Tribe
Attn: Human Resources
2872 Mission Dr.
Shelbyville, MI 49344
Submit via email to email@example.com
Or by fax at (269) 397-1786